New south cafeteria, library open their doors

Brand new semester, brand new spaces. The renovations to the south cafeteria and Student Resource Center are complete and ready for use.

Students have already begun to take advantage of the new areas. In the new library, which opens to students at 7 a.m. every weekday, students enjoy a “learning staircase” where students can lounge along the steps, two all-new classrooms, breakout rooms, and a new lounge area next to some large windows overlooking the tennis courts and field. The breakout rooms can be reserved by teachers and students. There is a new soundproof production space where students can film and record projects.

Librarian Louise Brueggemann explained that the staff’s plan is to put bookshelves along the walls and decorate to create a welcoming environment. “We would like to have input and ideas come from students,” she said about what they’d like to see in their library.

In the south cafeteria, there are more outlets for students to use. There are new tables, seating, and waste bins. Micheline Piekarski, director of Food and Nutrition Services at OPRF, said she thinks the new cafeteria is “more welcoming for the (students). They tried to make it more kid-friendly.” She concluded it is truly a space for the students, and she hopes they will make the best of it. Sophomore Hannah Franke said that “the windows in the new cafeteria make it feel open and make the room feel even newer.”

In the coming months “I think we need to learn how best to use (the library),” said John Hoerster, an English teacher and head football coach. He expressed his concern that people will not be willing to use the library since it’s so new. Nonetheless, he remains optimistic.

Katie Kralik, a chemistry teacher, said that “once (the library) is finished, it will be an amazing place to get work done or relax.” She would like it to be a welcoming place for students to go before and after the school day.

Despite this excitement, some students and staff miss parts of the old spaces. Piekarski remembers the sandwich stand in the corner of the south cafeteria. It was used as a concession stand for basketball games, but COVID prevented eating during games. As for the future, “we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it,” Piekarski said.