The long and short of the Long Term Facilities Plan

The vote on the November 8 referendum has even divided families

Sarah Lipo, Managing Editor

Driving through Oak Park and River Forest, one sees “Yes” and “No” signs littering the front yards of many homes. Most of these homeowners have an intense opinion about the November pool referendum, whether that be negative or positive. But few seem to know about the other part of the projected plan set to be voted upon in the referendum. The other piece of the puzzle is known as the Long Term Facilities Plan.

The plan, which encompasses other major aspects of improvement as well as the pool plan, has been subjected to much less scrutiny.

On Aug. 16, the School Board voted to release their new plan to the voters and let them decide its fate in the referendum at the Nov. 8 election.

The proposed changes voted on will have resounding effects at the school.  “The goal of the project is to address our immediate facility needs over the next five years,” says Board Member Fred Arkin.  “The work of the LTFPC (Long Term Facilities Planning Committee) is ongoing and needs going beyond five years are being studied and addressed.”

The Long Term Facilities Planning Committee formed last year surveyed the school’s  buildings; the goal was to ensure OPRF is up to today’s standards in technology, and to create space for the increased enrollment expected over the next few years. The committee consisted of members of the community, faculty members, board members, and some students.  Members volunteered or were invited through parent groups.

The building’s last major renovation happened between 1965-71, some 50 years ago. Many residents would agree some changes in the school are needed. But what do these changes entail?

Arkin is a proponent of the new changes. “The good news that came out of the LTFPC (long term facilities planning committee) is that the building is in very good condition with the exception of the pools and boys’ PE locker rooms and has been very well maintained over the years.

The building is in very good condition with the exception of the pools and boys’ PE locker rooms

— Fred Arkin

“The approved plan includes a new single 40-meter pool, a new smaller garage, new boys’ PE locker room space, expanded space to accommodate the growth of performing arts (band, orchestra, choir and theater) and three pods of flexible classroom space to handle expected enrollment growth while conforming to 21st century needs,” says Arkin.

This “flexible classroom space” is being designed to more effectively use space at OPRF. It includes refurbishing some conference space into offices for teachers.  The three “pods” of classroom space have been identified to test the program, ensuring the best results for the students.

Clay Reagan, the division head of the Physical Education department explains, “The last time [the locker rooms] were renovated was in the 1960s; many of the current lockers are in disrepair, and space is limited in each locker room. In addition, air quality is poor because the ventilation system requires upgrading; because three levels were squeezed into two stories when the PE locker rooms were built in the 1920s, the low ceiling height prohibits replacing the current system.”

The November referendum encompasses remodeling of locker rooms. The plan includes the new pool, as well as the improved facilities and extended classroom space intended to benefit the students. Arkin clarifies that the Board expects, “the project to be completed in phases… it may take two to two and a half years to complete.  The start date will be dependent on several factors that need to be accomplished such as zoning & permitting from the village, architects completing schematic designs and the bidding process for construction.”

The projected $44.5 million cost covers all of the various proposed renovations. The pool cost is set at $21.4 million, while the existing garage demolition and construction of a new garage is estimated at $10 million. The rest of the changes, including the P.E. locker room renovation and the performing arts expansion, are noticeably smaller sums, totaling about $8 million.

As the voting date looms closer for community members, Arkin is hopeful for the plan to pass because “I voted for the plan…it is in the best interest of the school and community.”