Opinion: a “Toxic Meltdown” on the school’s behalf

Camille Grant, Staffer

I’m not proud of it, but I have a confession to make: I was going to skip the Winter Spirit assembly.

I had it all planned out. As soon as the bell rang, I’d sprint out an exit, bike home, and take a nap.

In actuality, every potential exit was guarded by security personnel. It seemed my plans would be thwarted. Begrudgingly, I made my way to an upper bleacher in the Field House.

The Winter Spirit assembly had two saving graces. The rendition of the National Anthem was beautiful, and I appreciated the singer’s talent. The step performance was lively and coordinated. Unfortunately, the step dancers had no microphone, so it was inaudible from where I sat. That’s about all the praise I can give.

For 40 minutes, I watched as students entered an inflated “sweeper game.” The object of the game was unclear. I noticed it was called “Toxic Meltdown,” and I felt it was some sort of bitter irony, because that was what I felt internally.

I kept expecting something to happen, but nothing did. Forty minutes of sitting there, watching.

While writing this, I texted a friend to validate the assembly was, in fact, just watching people enter Toxic Meltdown. She replied back, agreeing, and adding: “It was very boring.” There you have it — I’m not exaggerating.

In my previous school, spirit rallies were no treat either. But I was always amused by the skits different sport groups put on, the palpable energy of the room, and the unification I felt amongst the large student body.

There are two larger, worrying implications.

Does the administration really value our time? That is my primary concern. Out of all the possible fun activities, the school settled on the least engaging, interesting option: Toxic Meltdown. For one of the three times the school has gathered as one this year, we silently watched Toxic Meltdown. It was an utter waste of the talents and time of the student body.

What should school spirit look like? This is my secondary concern, mostly because it’s less consequential. The energy and excitement of the student body was at a low buzz. If we are trying to unify the student body, we need to do better.

I implore the OPRF community to reflect upon the underwhelming, Winter Spirit Assembly.

Honestly, I wish I’d made a run for it. Taking a nap at home would have served some purpose.