College basketball preseason top 20

College basketball preseason top 20

For a second year in a row, College Basketball was thrown into chaos during the summer. This summer, the chaos wasn’t caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, it was caused by unheard of amounts of roster turnover, due to the immediate eligibility granted to transfers. At one point there were 1,544 student athletes in the NCAA transfer portal, over 50% more than there were a year ago. 

But College Basketball chugs on. We are now only one day away from the start of the season so  as a die hard College Basketball fan, I decided to make a top 20 for the season. 

1.Gonzaga

Gonzaga has the best returning player in college basketball, Drew Timme, and the best incoming freshman, Chet Holgrem. They also return Andrew Nembhard who was a double digit scorer a season ago and should take a big leap in his Senior Year. The Zags also bring in two under the radar five stars with big upside, Hunter Sallis and Nolan Hickman. Could this be the year Mark Few finally breaks through on Monday night in April?

2.Texas

Texas was busy in the offseason. Starting with the hire of Chris Beard, a top ten coach in College Basketball. Beard then overhauled the roster, bringing in Minnesota Guard Marcus Carr, Utah Forward Timmy Allen, and Umass forward Tre Mitchell. All 3 averaged more than 15 points a season ago. Beard also got Andrew Jones and Courtney Ramey to return to school. Jones was the leading scorer for Texas who finished 9th in the AP Poll last year. 

3.UCLA

UCLA returns all 5 starters from a team that made a miraculous run at the final four. Johnny Juzang will be a preseason all American, and Jaime Jacquez has potential to reach an all American level. Not to mention they also add five star wing Peyton Watson.

4.Kansas

Kansas returns four starters from last season’s team, who finished the season winning nine of their last 11. Bill Self also dipped into the transfer portal and brought in Remy Martin, who is one of the best transfers in the country. The Jayhawks should be right at the top of the Big 12 with Texas in March.

5.Villanova

On April 12th 2021, Villanova got huge news when seniors Collin Gillespie and Jermaine Samuels announced that they would have their special 5th year of eligibility to return to school. The wildcats will be loaded with experience and depth, most notably on the perimeter. The key for Jay Wright’s team, will be on the blocks. With the departure of Big East player of the year Jeremiah Robinson-Earl, the Wildcats will need role player Eic Dixon or incoming freshman Nnanna Njoku to step up.

6.Purdue

The Boilermakers bring back a lot. Out of nine rotation players from last season, eight chose to return. Purdue’s roster is highlighted by Preseason All American Trevion Williams, and 7’5 giant Zach Edey, who shined bright overseas this summer at the FIBA U19 world cup for Latvia. Purdue also returns Jaden Ivey, who is expected to make a big sophomore jump, and could be a potential lottery pick. 

7.Michigan

Juwan Howard has been quite successful in his first two seasons back in Ann Arbor. Michigan lost some big pieces like Isaiah Livers, Mike Smith, and Chaundee Brown in the offseason. But Howard did a fantastic job to reload the roster. Michigan brings in two 5 star freshmen, Caleb Houstan, who has lottery pick potential, and Moussa Diabite. They also add Coastal Carolina transfer Devante Jones, who is a prolific scorer. The Wolverines also return Hunter Dickinson, who is a preseason all american. Expectations are high in Ann Arbor.

8.Kentucky

Kentucky was terrible last season, but Big Blue Nation is set to bounce back in a big way. Coach Cal was back to his old antics, and landed two five star recruits, TyTy Washington and Damion Collins. However, something that has become a big factor lately in College Basketball, will make or break the season for Kentucky, and that’s the transfer portal. Calipari was busy, getting Davidson transfer Kellen Grady, Georgia transfer Sahvir Wheeler, Iowa shooter CJ Frederick, and most notably West Virginia Big man Oscar Tchiebwe. Kentucky struggled with scoring last year, but with the combination of these 5 stars and transfers, they look potent heading into the season.

9.Baylor

The defending champs lost a lot in the offseason. Seeing guys like Jared Butler, Davion Mitchell, Macio Teague, and Mark Vital head out the door definitely stings. But Scott Drew brings back a couple key pieces, and adds some big freshmen and transfers as well. The Bears return Matthew Mayer, Adam Flagler, and JTT, among others. Flagler and Mayer were instant energy off the bench a season ago, and should make big jumps this season. Scott Drew also dipped his toes into the five star pool, and got Kendall Brown to come to Waco. Brown is an exciting player to watch, with lottery pick potential in the NBA. But the biggest game changer for the Bears is James Akinjo. Akinjo averaged 15.4 points and 5.4 assists a season ago, and should be the leader for this Baylor team.

10.Arkansas

Once again, Eric Musselman was active in the transfer portal, bringing in Miami transfer Chris Lykes, Pitt transfer AuDience Toney, and North Dakota transfer Stanley Umude. All three were double digit scorers a year ago and should play big roles for the razorbacks this year. Arkansas also brings back three key pieces from last year’s elite eight team, Devo Davis, JD Notae, and Jaylin Williams. All three are due for big years.

11.Duke

2021 will be Coach K’s final season, and he has built a solid roster to send him off. Duke brings back key pieces in Jeremy Roach, Wendell Moore, and Mark williams. WHile adding three fivestar freshmen, AJ Griffin, Trevor Keels, and most notably Paolo Banchero. Banchero is a star who should be the go to guy for the blue devils. Duke is prepared to bounce back after an extremely disappointing eason a year ago. 

12. Alabama

Nate Oats has turned Alabama basketball on it’s head, winning the SEC regular season and tournament championships, and making the sweet sixteen as a two seed. The Tide return their leading scorer Jaden Shackleford, and late season star Jelly Q, among others. Nate Oats also went out and got fivestar JD Davidson, who plays an aggressive and exciting style of play, and should make an immediate impact in Tuscaloosa. Alabama will have no problems with perimeter production, the key will be the inside. Juwan Gary was great in the postseason, and should make a step up.

13.Illinois

The Illini put themselves back on the map a season ago, earning a one seed in the NCAA tournament. Illinois lost their star Ayo Dosumnu to their draft, and starter Adam Miller to the transfer portal. But the Illini return a lot. Kofi Cockburn is the big ten preseason player of the year and a preseason all American, Trent Frazier is a top defender in the big ten, and Andre Curbelo could be the best Point Guard in the Big Ten. The Illini should back up their dream season with another good one.

14.Tennessee

Tennessee was a disappointment last season, fading out of the picture down the stretch. But Rick Barnes returns three starters, multiple role players, and brings in two 5 star recruits. Incoming freshman guard Kennedy Chandler is getting loads of hype, and should provide instant energy for the Vols. John Fulkerson had a down year last year, after an incredible season before COVID-19 hit, the vols will need him to get back to his pre covid form. Rick Barnes also brought in lights out shooter Justin Powell through the transfer portal. He is still recovering from injury, but should be a big player for Tennessee once healthy.

15.North Carolina

For the first time in 18 years, UNC will not have Roy Williams at the wheel. Hubert Davis takes over for Williams, and has built a solid roster for the season. The heels are a very balanced team in both the frontcourt and the backcourt. Bacot is a force in the paint, and should play a bigger role this season. Marquette transfer Dawson Garcia looks to expand on his solid freshman season, and Oklahoma transfer Brady Manek will play the role of the stretch four. The key for the heels will be the point guard play of Caleb Love, who will need to make a big sophomore jump for UNC to be successful.

16.Ohio State

Chris Holtmann is the most underrated coach in all of college basketball. However, the buckeyes have a lot of questions heading into the season. EJ Liddell will be good, that’s a given. What will make or break the season for OSU will be the backcourt. The buckeyes lost stars Duane Washington and CJ Walker to the draft. But Holtmann bought in transfer Jamari Wheeler and Cedric Russel, as well as top 40 recruit Malaki Branham. Ohio State’s season will depend on the production of their guards, and if they produce, the buckeys could be a top ten team.

17.Memphis

Penny Hardaway pulled some late offseason magic and reeled in the No. 1 recruiting class, getting commitments from Emoni Bates and Jalen Duren. However, Memphis plans on running Bates at the point and I don’t see how that is a good idea. The key for Memphis will be chemistry, as they have a team filled with a range of personalities 

18.Michigan State

The Spartans are the most underrated team in College Basketball. Tom Izzo is buzzing before the season, a very rare occurrence.. Max Christie and Tyson Walker should be huge additions to this spartan team which struggled to score a season ago. Christie is a fenomenal shooter who can also get to the rim. Tyson Walker should fill the PG void nicely, with the ability to distribute the ball and score. The Spartans will need the likes of Hauser, Hall, and Marble to step up big for them to be good this season.

19.Florida State

Leonard Hamilton is 73 years old, and is coaching his best basketball.  Florida State, per usual, is a very deep team. Returnees Rayquan Evans, Malik Osborne, and Anthony Polite should make big jumps this season. Polite is an underrated NBA prospect with big upside. The Seminoles lost their star player, Scottie Barnes, to the NBA Draft. But Leonard Hamilton was successful in offseason recruiting, reeling in a couple top 40 recruits, Matthew Cleveland and Jalen Warley. Hamilton also brings in Houston transfer Caleb Mills, who was playing lights out basketball before the pandemic hit. If we can return to his pre covid form, FSU will be right in the thick of the ACC race.

20.Oregon

Years go by, people change and grow up, but if there’s one constant, it’s Dana Altman being active in the transfer portal. This year is no exception, with the Ducks bringing in some big name transfers, including Oklahoma Transfer De’Vion Harmo, Rutgers transfer Jacob Young, and Syracuse transfer Quincy Guerrier, all three played big roles for tournament teams. The ducks also return double digit scorers Will Richardson and Eric Williams. Furthermore, Oregon will add five star center Nathan Bittle, who will play a bigger and bigger role as the season progresses.