Mental health in teenagers

Hey! It’s me Iv, and I’m going to talk about depression—but, not just any kind of depression: teen depression. Since we are teenagers, most adults overlook signs of depression and think the behavior is normal, whatever that might mean. You may have a family that loves and cares for you, but they may not see all you’re going through; they dismiss these signs of depression as nothing, which could lead to a feeling of disconnection, or maybe a sense of emptiness as though something is missing.

As much as society and pop culture might make teen depression seem like a norm, it is most definitely not normal. It is a very serious mental health disorder. According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness, suicide is the second-leading cause of death among people age 15 to 24 in the U.S. Almost 20 percent of student in high school report “serious thoughts of suicide” and 9 percent have made suicide attempts.

Sure, not all of these students initially suffered from depression, but they could have felt pressured for many other reasons. A big stressor for many families and their children is their financial well-being.

At such a young age, with numerous other burdens, anxiety about money can lead to depression.

Just to make things worse, some teens take it upon themselves to deal with their problems in an unhealthy way by doing drugs. Vaping is a common outlet, and it can do some really bad damage to your lungs (inflammation, permanent lung scarring) which can make it hard for you to breathe. You can get addicted, and, if you ignore the craving, it can cause withdrawal. Nicotine is a toxic substance, and it can cause high blood pressure and other potentially lethal cardiovascular issues.

Some only turn to substances simply because they won’t or don’t know how to ask for help. Perhaps they’re afraid, but, whatever the case may be, if you are suffering from any kind of mental health problem (depression or otherwise) you must seek help. If you look at the back of your school ID, there is a 24/7 anonymous hotline for OPRF students. If you don’t have this information on the back of your ID, text 844-670-5838, and use the word “CARE” to be connected with a Support4U community mental health professional for support.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: Call 988