Music club crescendo through cooperation

Two music clubs are joining forces to provide more opportunities for students interested in making and reviewing music. The collaboration is between Husky Records, which produces original student music, and Music Review Club, also known as Milk Crate. Now, members can take their knowledge from the clubs and apply them in new ways—a development that senior Will Van Duinen, president of Husky Records, is looking forward to. “People who were once a part of Milk Crate can now take the knowledge that they have…and make their own music,” Van Duinen said. “And people from Husky Records can use the Music Review Club as a place to get feedback for the stuff that they’ve created, as well as just expand their musical horizons.”

Last year, the two clubs met at the same time, making it impossible for students to attend both. This year, they have collaborated on a joint schedule.Senior Wami Osikanlu, co-president of Music Review Club, said, “I’m just excited to get that music making aspect because it was something a lot of people wanted last year but we weren’t able to do because Husky Records was like at the same time.”The clubs plan to expand the annual Milk Crate Concert, which takes place at the end of the school year. “Usually we have one big show at the end of the year, and this year we’re talking about having at least two,” said Valerie White, the faculty sponsor of the Music Review Club. 

Osikanlu, who joined the club as a sophomore, urged people to join, regardless of musical experience or knowledge. “It’s a really open environment,” she said. Van Duinen added, “You don’t need to be able to play an instrument, you don’t need to be able to sing, you don’t need to be able to have really any skills, just a passion for music.”