Perspective: Exchange programs connect students to new worlds

I first started thinking about exchange programs during the pandemic. The schools were closed because of COVID, and I was in my room scrolling through social media for no reason. I saw an advertisement talking about a year in the United States–a long way from my home in Dhaka, Bangladesh. As I do for almost every ad on social media, I thought of it as a scam. But, the advertisement made me think about my dream of traveling the world again. I started searching the web, learning more about exchange programs. 

The idea of living abroad with a family that I have known for a short amount of time and representing my country had me hooked. I applied, and within months I was filling out paperwork to come to the United States with AFS Intercultural Programs. The process was stressful but it was exciting.

The stress and excitement for a new adventure are something I found common among every exchange student I have met. All of them were so eager to start this adventure. When I asked Kristiana Qirjaj, who is from Albania and doing her junior year at Oak Park and River Forest High School, about her experience, she put my thought into words: “It was the independence while exploring a new way of life that drove all of us to do everything,” she said.
After arriving in Oak Park, I felt an immediate connection with my hosts, the Jenks-Broussard family. No one would ever imagine I have only known them for a month. When I started at OPRF, everything seemed different, like how people greeted each other and how the teachers and students communicated. There were things that were hard for me to cope with, and they seemed to be everywhere. I learned how to cook, became used to having a pet, learned to take responsibility for my studies, and got to explore a whole new city and make friends from all over the world.

“When planning my exchange year, I expected it to be a year of new experiences and exploring a new country,” said Smilla Winnemoeller. “But, this year turned out to be a lot more for me. I am now more open to trying new things and being uncomfortable.” 

One thing both Winnemoeller and Qirjaj loved is the way school spirit is upheld by the students. “Everyone takes pride in their involvement with the school and activities. This makes participating in sports more enjoyable,“ said Winnemoeller.

On the side of academics, Winnemoeller feels like a kid in a candy store having so many options of courses to choose from. She believes she could explore a lot about things she’s interested in because of this instead of having to study only conventional subjects—English, math, science—in high school.
Host families have also found hosting an exchange student a wonderful experience. A local volunteer for AFS Intercultural Programs and former OPRF parent, David Ubogy believes hosting exchange students at home and sending his son on an exchange program was an enlightening experience. So far Ubogy has hosted five exchange students, one of whom went to OPRF. Ubogy said OPRF reflects the best of the United States with its diversity and wealth of electives. As an exchange student, I can relate to Ubogy’s statement, as the electives at OPRF have enabled me to do things I never thought possible in high school. 

Exchange programs can shape their lives in a unique way. Both Winnemoeller and Qirjaj said they have connections all over the world, and they can effectively resist stereotypes. “I am a huge fan of culture shock,” said Ugoby, advocating for students to get out of their comfort zone. “Go get shocked. Figure out a new transit system or why the street signs are all so weird. Taste new, gross things that are actually surprisingly good.” 

Winnemoeller agreed with Ugoby’s words: “Even though it’s hard to intentionally get out of your comfort zone, once done this can do wonders,” she said. 

All in all, exchange programs can be a great way to learn outside of the traditional classroom. The process of getting involved isn’t complicated either. Those who are interested can get affiliated with such programs through OPRF’s Summer Program offerings through the Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) as well as AFS Intercultural Programs. The organizations work to ensure an enlightening experience for the students and host families.