OPRF ghost not cool anymore

At first, most students thought it was cool and fun that Oak Park and River Forest High School had a resident ghost; for a while, Ghost would let us phase our hands through his ephemeral form, and he’d also show us how he can float through the walls.

When teachers let him float in the corner of their classrooms during lessons, Ghost was at first a valuable education tool. He would sometimes tell us about historical events that he lived through, like the Reinvention of the Wheel and his involvement in the Anti-Wiping Countermovement which responded to the invention of modern toilet paper in 1857. In recent months, though, Ghost started partaking in actions that have much of the student body questioning just how “of his time” he really is.

Women in STEM club began questioning Ghost’s true character when he popped his head through the wall three months ago, allegedly to ask junior Mallory Quince “Why (she hasn’t) gotten married yet…given that (she has) a perfectly monied cousin James who gives (her) ‘eyes’ in (her) third period anyway…”

When questioned, freshman James Quincy said he “would totally never do that,” adding that it was “really freaking messed up for Ghost to bring that up.”

Sophomore Cillian O’Connor has also had run-ins with Ghost. “He has asked me for a ‘pint’ so many times now that I can’t even count. He also keeps asking me who my favorite saint is, and who set my hair on fire,” he said.

Ghost has also interrupted history and English teachers on multiple occasions to insert his personal views.

Among other statements, students reported Ghost saying: “President Jackson did what he had to do!” and “Women don’t have the natural drive to governance,” etc.

Many students have recently tried to sit down with Ghost and explain to him why his sense of the world is outdated, with some even suggesting that he go haunt a different school that might be more warmed to his ideas.

While that wasn’t feasible (as other schools have their own ghosts), students’ comments sparked a change in him. Now, in the history and English classes he haunts, he sits quietly at his spectral desk, occasionally raising his hand to tentatively ask questions. Some students have even seen stacks of history books floating across the library towards the checkout desk. Some members of PALs, BLU, Aspira, and APA have reported seeing Ghost poke his translucent ear through the ceiling, but when spotted, he is quick to dart away.

“I think he’s nervous about actually coming,” said APA member Blakey Walsh, “but he’s definitely trying to learn something.”

In an exclusive Newscene interview with Ghost, he said: “I’m old: 192 years old to be precise. I spent my life and afterlife thinking that I was right about everything, and that the people I distrusted had the same inclinations towards me. But then, all of these students were just so nice to me, even though I myself was now the ‘different’ one, in regards to both my undeadness and patterns of thinking. And I realized that maybe my two-centuries-old outlook isn’t quite accurate. Maybe that’s why I’m spiritually stuck in this building. Maybe to leave and move on, I have to let parts of myself go.”