The official student newspaper of Oak Park and River Forest High School

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

(Not a) “Cruel Summer”: OPRF students experience Eras

“There will be no explanation, there will just be reputation.”

Taylor Swift took the world by storm when she touched down in Chicago for the Eras Tour June 2, 3 and 4. She claimed the city for three explosive nights alongside openers Girl in Red, and Owen and Gracie Abrams at Soldier Field.

This tour was like no other. It was a trip down memory lane as Swift showcased all of her past musical eras, from her debut album to the newly released “Midnights.”

The tour was a trending topic for months, and Swifties found themselves in a frenzy with Ticketmaster over a race for presale tickets. With presales producing more slots than tickets themselves, many were left empty handed.

Brianna Stallter, AP Psychology and Civics teacher at Oak Park and River Forest High School, said she didn’t get hers until a week before, and even then she acquired them through a private browser due to not getting them during the original presale. Regardless of how stressful her experience was with finding tickets, she said, “As long as I get to the stadium and see her that is enough.”

As her devoted followers know, one thing Swift loves more than anything is keeping her fans on their toes. During each performance Swift performs two surprise songs that are not on the set list. “What songs will it be?” is the question on everyone’s mind the days leading up to the concerts. Which album will she pull you in with? Will it leave you screaming and jumping or holding back tears?

Junior Isabel Stickney recalls the utter shock that washed over her as she discovered her surprise songs for night two.

Stickney recalls being frozen in place as “I Don’t Wanna Live Forever” and “You All Over Me” began to play. “I just couldn’t believe it was an option,” was the first thought in Stickney’s mind when she heard “I Don’t Wanna Live Forever.” Stickney found the choice surprising because the song is often associated with Swift’s collaboration with Zayn Malik.

While that chapter of Swift’s life has closed, the addition of the song to the surprise list was a treat for everyone. The pure shock and excitement that erupted from the stadium was something her fans will remember forever. Keeping the fans on their toes and allowing these songs to serve as a “reward” for experiencing the emotions of these eras is where the life of the concert stems from.

Although fans would have liked to have heard Swift’s entire discography, she couldn’t play all her songs. Cameron Dunlop, a junior, said a song she would have loved to see live is “Cornelia Street.” Track 9 on the “Lover” album showcases a memory of love and how one place can pull two people together. Dunlop said “It can make a lot of people really close. A lot of people have their street, their place, their cafe, just something that reminds them of someone close to them.” Cornelia Street gives the sense of togetherness and grants, like many of Swift’s other songs on that album, a sense of community with others.

The Eras tour has become a safe space for Swifties to feel the love and emotion behind their favorite songs. While the tour is just getting started, what does Taylor Swift have up her sleeve next?

Taylor Swift in her opening look (Camerom Dunlop)