The official student newspaper of Oak Park and River Forest High School

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

Boys basketball off to a strong start

Oak Park and River Forest High School’s varsity boys basketball team is back and ready to make a statement. Although the season has just started, they have faced heavy competition and prevailed.

On Saturday, Dec. 9, the Huskies took on Glenbrook South High School at home. The Huskies fought hard to win 58-55, with a game-winning shot from junior Justin Bowen. At press time the Huskies’ record was 4-3.

Other bright spots in the season so far include the Thanksgiving tournament, in which the Huskies beat Wheaton Academy 64-62 to win first place.

Coach Gary giving players a pep talk during a timeout.

On Friday, Dec. 1, OPRF’s varsity boys basketball team faced their cross-town rival, the Fenwick Friars, in the Chicago Elite Classic, or CEC. During the tough game, the Huskies fell to the Friars with a final score of 56-47.

Although the game did not end the way the Huskies had hoped, the energy did not disappoint. From the roar of the Huskie student section and the electric plays by the team, the game remained magnificent. With shots from senior Joe Halper and outstanding ball control from senior Max Johnson, the Huskies proved that they had an abundance of talent waiting to be unleashed.

The team of 18 boys is led by head coach Phil Gary and senior leader Max Johnson. The team spent the entire off-season sharpening their skills to start the 2023-2024 season off strong.

John Lambe shoots a 3-pointer.

The players worked hard and dedicated their time to the gym where they did individual workouts and progressed with travel teams. When asked what the off-season looked like, Junior Alex Gossett said, “We had a grueling pre-season that pushed us to our limits, physically and mentally.” Gossett went on to explain how important off-season was personally as a way to better develop his craft.

Although many focused on perfecting their skills during the off-season, Johnson also focused on his outlook. “My mentality was to make sure everyone gets better day by day and to make this season a winning season.” As a senior, Johnson has made sure to step into a role of leadership and make it his own.

The skills that the team possesses are not the only thing that makes them such an outstanding pack. The close-knit bond that they hold makes their gameplay flow with such poise. Since the group of boys are so close and hold trust with one another, their ability to play selflessly is even stronger.

Junior Dominick Hale said that the bond is amazing. “Everyone is treated like family,” he said. Hale continued to explain how important growing that bond through team bonding and communication was for the team and how the relationship between the players truly does make a difference in how they play.

As the season moves forward, the Huskies have set goals they wish to accomplish, and whether it be as a team or individually the Huskies are determined to achieve them. Hale said his personal goals this season are to focus on putting himself out there and getting exposure to college coaches. Hale expanded on this saying he wants to include maintaining his skills and perfecting his off-ball skills as well.

As a team, the Huskies have come out with a bang to set themselves up for a stellar season.

Joe Halper steals ball after Fenwick turnover. (Jobi Adams)