The official student newspaper of Oak Park and River Forest High School

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

Ripple in Time celebrates the East Pool

It’s often said that all good things must come to an end–a bittersweet feeling that the swimmers and divers at Oak Park and River Forest High School recently experienced. 

After much debate and discussion, the school board decided last year to move ahead with a plan to overhaul the athletic wing of the school building, including the East Pool, which was built in 1928 and is in need of repairs. The plans call for a new 25-by-40-yard pool with room for 400 spectators. 

Many of those who have been able to make memories with their closest friends in the East Pool now have to say goodbye. To make it a little easier for them, community member and OPRF parent Stacy Sorg created an event called A Ripple in Time, which took place Jan. 6.

OPRF swimmers celebrate at A Ripple in Time.

Sorg explained that the event was “a combination of reunion and a fun competition” for those who enjoy the pool or enjoyed the pool in the past. Sorg was quite proud of the acknowledgement this event received because “there were about 150 people in attendance,” including some alumni who had graduated as far back as 1977, she said. 

With the combination of OPRF celebrating its 150th year and the East Pool’s last moments before construction begins, Sorg was inspired to “commemorate the pool, and all its quirkiness, to provide a chance for the last students and teams who will be in the pool.” Swimming Coach Clyde Lundgren helped her make the plans become a reality. 

This event was a bonding experience for the swimmers to add onto their long list of great memories together. Meah Flodin, a senior on the girls’ swim team and water polo team, said the event featured “water polo games, a swim meet which included a number of fun relays, and…a lunch afterwards to catch up with both alumni and current water polo players and swimmers.” She said she was glad to be able to express her gratitude for the swim community at these activities. 

Alumni warm up to play a water polo game.

Flodin opened up about her favorite memory that she made at the East Pool: “Seeing the seniors in 2022 react to their senior night that I and the other juniors planned.” For the girls’ swim team, the leadup to senior night is very anticipated and exciting for everyone. The “reactions of surprise and excitement from the seniors were priceless,” Flodin said, adding that she will never forget the memories she has created with some of her best friends, in and out of the water.  

Brady Sorg, a senior on the boys swim and water polo teams, expressed a mixture of emotions about  saying goodbye to the East Pool, where he learned to swim. “My entire life has just revolved around this pool,” he said. 

While the East Pool has sentimental importance, swimmers are looking forward to its replacement. Brady Sorg said he feels sad yet excited to receive a renovated pool. The new facility “will really help our program and draw a bunch of new attention from outside people who might want to transfer into OPRF, as well as making our facilities better,” he said.

Despite its maintenance issues and aging infrastructure, the East Pool was genuinely loved by those who spent time in it. The irreplaceable memories that were created, the best friend bonds that were built, and the community that grew together will be remembered for a lifetime thanks to those who made A Ripple in Time possible.