The official student newspaper of Oak Park and River Forest High School

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

State Rep. talks healthcare at OPRF

State Rep. Camille Lilly visited Oak Park River Forest High School on Thursday, Jan. 11 to speak to students about civic duty and a new project focused on mental health.

“My purpose is to bring access to health care as of today regarding what’s been happening in our society,” Lilly told students in the Government and Public Policy Club. “I now say if you don’t have your mental health, it will be very difficult to sustain your overall health.”

Lilly was the sponsor of House Bill 2247, signed into law in 2019, that funded community-based mental health centers intended to reach high-need populations, including people without health insurance.

Lilly, an OPRF alumna, pointed out her own experience in health care while advocating for greater mental health awareness. 

After graduating from OPRF in 1979, Lilly studied business at Drake University and earned a master of business administration from Northwestern University before receiving a master of public health from the University of Oklahoma. She told the students that health care has been a priority for her since she took office in 2010. 

“I am working to create legislation that brings that access. I believe in healthcare access because it is a right,” she said. “I don’t think that by chance you stumble across, I think it is something that you need because it’s a basic essential.”

Lilly came to OPRF at the invitation of the Government and Public Policy Club, which is now an official club after a trial period of about three years, according to Maia Zeidman, a civics teacher who serves as club sponsor.

There are two club leaders, Graham Shea and Sebastian Meotek that organize national and international current events for the club to review. The club focuses on getting students engaged to ask questions regarding their civic environment. “Civic engagement isn’t common amongst teenagers so I love learning what drives students’ civic participation and help them comprehend how real this experience is” said Zeidman.

Sebastian Mrotek, a member of the Government and Policy Club, initiated the idea of hosting a congressman at the school and dedicated his time to contacting many offices until finally Lilly’s team confirmed the event. 

“I think young people have an important voice in democracy because they have different perspectives that older generations might have different perspectives on. New young perspectives are unique and are important in shaping outcomes.” Mrotek said.

In regards to Lilly’s visit Zeidman added, “I would say Camille Lilly’s project connects to the club in the way of bringing out awareness on certain topics and having good discussions straight from the source.” 

Mrotek encouraged students to get involved in their communities.“For people just getting started in their civic duty, I advise them to just do something. It can be smaller, just like reading the news, or it can be bigger just like joining a club.”