The official student newspaper of Oak Park and River Forest High School

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

Celebrating Black History Month

Then and Now
Current Black Leaders Union members commemorate the success of this years MLK assembly (2024). ((L-R) Taylor Smith, Harmony Hubbard, Cheslynn Ash, Riley Bazillion, Leandrew Wade, Jaela May, Zoie Segbawu, Aliya Zeb, Langston Short, Brianne Davis)

Black history has always been an integral part of Oak Park and River Forest High School. 

However, what Black History Month means to the world today is not what it meant 10 years ago. As Black success in the community continues to flourish, it allows us to revaluate the significance of Black History Month every year. One could say there is no proper way to honor the wide array of contributions that Black people have bestowed upon the world, but I think it starts in the little things such as the annual Martin Luther King Jr. assembly, opening up your ears to black stories or even acknowledging the hard work of some of your black educators around the building. 

The value in this month is that Black History Month means something different to everyone. For BLU President Riley Bazillion it means “celebrating the achievements and future of the Black community, while we acknowledge the past.” While for me, Black history is a reminder of the perseverance those before me had in achieving their own dreams and creating a progressive environment for Black students today. 

Shown above are photos of Black History and Black identity being celebrated within the school building over the years. Happy Black History Month!