The official student newspaper of Oak Park and River Forest High School

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

OPRF volunteer club fuels families

Fueling Families, a new club at Oak Park and River Forest High School, aims to spark change one meal at a time. 

Junior Josh Singer founded the club to provide a bridge for students who would like to volunteer and participate in service activities but aren’t sure how to get started. The club’s first meeting was held Jan. 23. 

Activities at recent meetings have included presentations on volunteer opportunities and discussions about what the club’s first major service project should be. 

Junior Amelia Hammersley, a member of Fueling Families, said her favorite part of the club is “being able to volunteer and help the community.”

Singer founded Fueling Families this year, but his love for community service began seven years ago. Singer recalled wanting to join his older brother, who was volunteering for his Mitzvah project at Beyond Hunger, a local charity that works to provide food for those in need. Ever since then, Singer has been a regular volunteer at Beyond Hunger.

Fueling Families members meeting on Feb. 27

When asked what outcome he hoped for the club, Singer expressed how he wanted to see Beyond Hunger “grow and flourish,” because the organization is so close to his heart.  He hopes to see the best possible outcome for them and working alongside them to provide service opportunities is just the beginning. 

Singer attended a leadership conference at Hinsdale Central High School with the Student Council in January, where he had conversations with students who wanted to get involved with volunteer work more often but did not know where to start. These discussions convinced Singer that more schools should provide volunteer opportunities for students. 

Beyond Hunger was ready to work with Singer. Monette Bariel, pantry programs manager, said she takes pride in providing opportunities for students to give back to their community. 

“Volunteering doesn’t always have to be financial,” Bariel said. Giving back to your community in any way you can is still powerful, she added.

Bariel recalled seeing the “lightbulb” moments that students experience after volunteering–the moment that they realize the impact they made on the community and what it means to others. 

Beyond Hunger serves 13 zip codes across Cook County. The organization was founded in 1970 by Patricia Funk, a local Girl Scout, and eventually became a program of the Community of Congregations, an alliance of faith-based organizations that serves Oak Park and River Forest. Beyond Hunger’s volunteer orientation information shows a total of 327 monthly volunteers and 1,050 active volunteers. 

If you are interested in joining Fueling Families, meetings are held on Tuesdays at 7:30 a.m. in room 2363.