The official student newspaper of Oak Park and River Forest High School

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

OPRf hosts Careers in the Arts night

Oak Park River Forest High School hosted a Careers in the Arts night on
Tuesday, Feb. 6.

The event, held for the eighth time in the last 10 years, provided an opportunity for students and parents to hear from adults who have successful careers using their interests in the arts.

Careers in the Arts was the brain child of Mark Collins, a longtime visual art teacher who retired from OPRF last year. This year Melinda Novotny, the Visual Arts department chair, was the one who ran the night.

“It’s really important for us to give the parents, guardians and the students who are so invested in our program ideas about what their careers could possibly be,” said Novotny, adding, “You aren’t going to just be a starving artist because there are so many creative fields out there.”

This year there were fashion and graphic designers, ceramic and entertainment arts professors, a portfolio specialist, an animator, a community artist and an architect in attendance.

This year’s event was modeled differently than it has been in the past. Where previously the professionals would answer questions in a panel style discussion, this year each of the individuals presented about their specific field with time left at the end of the night for specific questions.

“I am so excited that we are able to offer this opportunity to our students. As a former art teacher, I know how important it is to showcase the various careers that can be pursued within the arts,” said OPRF Student Activity Coordinator Angela Hawkins. “I think many times students only think of a career in the arts as in a studio artist (ceramics, painter, graphic designer) or teacher. There are so many possibilities, and having an event dedicated to careers in the arts is very eye-opening.”