The official student newspaper of Oak Park and River Forest High School

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

A glimpse of “Utopia” at OPRF

Kai Boveri, Mahani Badjie, Kaspian Murray, Natasha Cosgrove, Afton Jennings and Finley Egan performing in Utopia

A convention-breaking production of “Utopia,” by American playwright Charles Mee, took place in the Little Theater March 15 to 17. 

Directed by English teacher and creative mastermind Avram Lessing, the play unveils three distinct love narratives intertwined with peculiar props and seemingly random and organic movements. However, the true purpose of the play is hidden beneath and invites the audience to contemplate the intricacies of human life and the significance of the human spirit.

Mee is known for his collage-like style of playwriting, which makes use of radical reconstructions of found texts. Mee makes all of his work available to the public for $1 per script through his website, the (re)making project. This has allowed playwrights all around the country with all levels of expertise to adapt their own version of his scripts. 

“‘Utopia’ doesn’t have a linear plot. And it doesn’t have characters; at least they are not the focus of it,” Lessing said. “It’s more in a collage fashion. And that’s purposeful. I think abstraction is important. Yes, we need real things, but we can get burdened in the world and just reality in general.”

“It’s nice to think abstractly, to think imaginatively, to experience language, images and ideas in more figurative ways that don’t always have a straight definition,” Lessing added. 

“Utopia”’s abstract take on theater and production is something the vast majority of people have never experienced before. The 45-minute play takes choreography and script writing to a whole new level, transcending all the rules and normalities in most theater productions. 

Lessing’s approach to directing the play in this unique fashion is “freeing,” he said, and allows the imagination to run wild. The performance and purpose of the play can be interpreted in seemingly infinite fashions, creating a surreal experience for those lucky enough to witness this excellent production.

Freedom is a big concept for the actors in the play as well. “‘Utopia’ is a very conceptual piece, and it’s been a really different experience than what I’m used to in theater,” said cast member and sophomore Rai Zawadowski. “With Dr. Lessing’s directing style, we’re given direction, but there’s a lot of freedom to make our own choices.” 

“I’m excited for all the crazy stuff we get to do,” Zawakowski said. “There are sequences involving accordions, praying over mannequins and general mayhem that’s very fun.” 

Cast member Finley Egan, a junior, said being part of the production challenged him and helped him grow as a person. “This play is really like nothing you’ve ever seen because it’s also like nothing I’ve ever seen,” he said. “It’s really about the little moments in life that show you how beautiful and absurd the world can be.”