The official student newspaper of Oak Park and River Forest High School

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

Orchesis provides launch pad for dancers

Orchesis dancers in formation during the April Showcase (Orchesis)

Dance is a way of life for the students of the Orchesis Dance Company. 

The company, which unveiled its latest showcase on April 5, 6 and 7 in the Oak Park and River Forest High School auditorium, dedicates hours of rehearsal to perfecting choreography made by students. 

Betina Dunson-Johnson, who has been the head coach for more than 10 years, described the company as “a home” to dancers and expressed how calming it is to know that not only do her dancers find comfort in the company, but she does as well. 

Dunson-Johnson, known to her students as Ms. DJ, said Orchesis represents a serious commitment to the art form for many young dancers. Many of her students have decided to take their passion for dance into their future lives in college.

Senior Addison Hesket, who has danced with Orchesis for four years, found her love for the art form in fifth grade and since then has danced at The Academy of Movement and Music and on OPRF’s varsity drill team. A dancer and choreographer for Orchesis, she intends to minor in dance at Michigan State University. 

Dancer and choreographer Ava Breitung has been dancing from a young age. She is also member of OPRF’s varsity Drill team, a dedicated member of The Academy of Movement and Music and a four-year Orchesis member. 

Breitung, who will be attending the University of Michigan in the fall with a minor in dance, said, “I want to keep dance a part of my life. I don’t think I could function correctly without it.”