The official student newspaper of Oak Park and River Forest High School

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

Enviro club talks air quality

We often think of air pollution as a problem that we can only encounter outdoors. However, in almost every space we inhabit, be it an office or a home, the quality of the air we breathe can have a profound effect on how we operate day-to-day, according to Harvard researcher Lauren Fergusen.

On April 24 on the learning stairs at Oak Park and River Forest High School’s Student Resource Center, the Environmental Club hosted Fergusen and her colleague Danielle von Reichenberg via zoom. Fergusen and Reichenberg, alongside OPRF social worker Khalida Himes, shed light on the importance of air quality to mental and physical health.

At  Harvard’s School of Public Health, Fergusen works within the Healthy Buildings Program. She gave the Environmental Club, along with any additional viewers, insight into how air quality can affect mental health.

In her studies at Harvard, Fergusen looked into offices in China, India, Mexico, Thailand and the U.S. to measure cognitive functions in the presence of different air pollutants, specifically carbon dioxide and particulate matters 2.5 and 10 (referring to the diameter of the particles). 

Each of these pollutants, when found inside, can not only cause respiratory problems but can actually lead to lower overall cognitive function. Research to remedy this is still in the early stages. However, in order to stop the combustion that produces these pollutants from entering buildings, Fergusen recommended using air filters that catch these particles.

Additionally, she recommended switching from gas stoves to electric stoves and  installing ventilation-free windows in order to increase cognitive function. 

Himes agreed with Fergusen’s findings, stressing the importance of looking after ones mental health, especially in the uncertainty of the teenage years. 

To remedy some of these adverse effects on mental health OPRF is also becoming more eco-conscious, not only by implementing geothermal energy (see story at right) but by beginning the construction of Project 2, which will attempt to make OPRF more ecologically conscious (see story, page 1).

However, during the construction of Project 2, Himes reflected on the pollutants that may be emitted, such as debris from construction and fumes from paint that may affect the mental health of students. To mitigate the effects of these pollutants, Himes stressed the importance of Fergusen’s findings.