The official student newspaper of Oak Park and River Forest High School

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

Summer musical returns to OPRF

The official poster for “Grease” (@OPRF High School Theatre Dept on Instagram)

Oak Park River Forest High School will mount a production of “Grease” this summer–the first time a summer musical has run since the COVID-19 pandemic ended. 

In 2022, “SpongeBob SquarePants: The Broadway Musical” was marketed as the summer musical, and “Tuck Everlasting” was planned for 2023. However, neither ended up running. This summer, the cult classic “Grease” will run July 12, 13 and 14. 

“We had to pick a show that will get interest and excitement. And so I felt like ‘Grease’ was perfect,” said Michelle Bayer, the performing arts department chair and summer musical director. She described “Grease” as “something that kids would be excited to be in and the community would come out to see.” 

“Grease” debuted on Broadway in 1972 and came out as a movie musical in 1978. Audiences fell in love with the catchy songs and the movie’s central love story between good girl Sandy Olsson and greaser Danny Zuko. Since its release, “Grease” has continued to captivate audiences of all ages. 

With more than 70 students signed up for “Grease,” OPRF students are certainly interested in this year’s summer musical. With a mix of students from graduating seniors to incoming freshmen, there is certain to be a wide variety of experiences coming into the show. 

“I’m really excited to meet other people who are interested in theater who are going into high school,” said Maddie Morgan, a current 8th grader at Gwendolyn Brooks Middle School. 

Students who are signed up for the summer musical will be rehearsing from 12:50 to 3:05, four days a week, with the leads and featured characters staying till 5:30. These rehearsals won’t just involve staging the show, however. Along with music, acting and dance, students will do basic hair and makeup sessions, get to know each other through icebreakers and play improv games, Bayer said.

The student actors won’t be the only ones working on the production. The stage crew will be there working on the technical side to help bring the show to life. Jack Maggio, a senior at OPRF, will crew for “Grease”–one last show before he leaves. “I personally decided to sign up for it because this is my last year, and crew is something that I’ve really enjoyed during the past year and a half,” he said.

Now that the summer musical is back, everyone is excited for the new experiences and people it will bring. “I love to have that opportunity to have the upperclassmen and freshmen get to know each other in a non stressful environment,” said Bayer. “Before you even step into the school, officially, you’re getting to know theater kids and the theater department.”