The official student newspaper of Oak Park and River Forest High School

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

OPRF to host first-ever block party

From food trucks to face paint, Oak Park and River Forest High School will host various family-friendly activities at its first-ever block party on Sunday, May 19.

The event will be held in the OPRF mall and will run from 1 to 4 p.m. It will be open to the entire community, including parents, students and faculty. Other features will include bouncy houses and alumni band The Jade 50s.

“This will be a way of thanking our community and inviting everybody in,” said Karin Sullivan, executive director of communications and community relations, who led the planning of the event. “We want to showcase all that our students do and share what they’ve created.” 

The idea has been in progress for nearly two years. “I’ve been here since 2012, and we’ve never done anything like this since then, so this will be something special,” Sullivan added.

She mentioned that student clubs will also have the opportunity to set up booths and tables for an outlet to connect with incoming students for the upcoming school year.

Community members will  also be able to view and walk on the new track, which will be open to the public. However, Sullivan emphasized that the band is planned to be the biggest draw.

The Jade 50s were formed in May of 1973, and the entire band is composed of OPRF alumni. The group has a rich history rooted in the community, as they first performed due to the requests from teachers and staff for a school activity. Faculty gave the band members a day off from school so they could perform in front of the whole student body, where they played solely rock and roll from the 1950s. The two history teachers that encouraged them most ultimately became managers of the band.

Band member and 1973 OPRF graduate Joe Cantafio said that the school “has remained very near and dear to my heart.”

The group took a break from performing, yet recently decided to reunite in 2022. When speaking about the event, Cantafio said that he has been receiving hundreds of calls from “fellow Huskies and fans who are so excited to be at the school for this great event.”

He also said, “Some are flying in from Europe and Asia. Many of the teachers I had at OPRF are coming, so that’s part of the excitement for me.”

The band has toured with artists such as Dick Clark, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley and many more. 

Senior Manolo Avalos said, “I am looking forward to some great music, food trucks and exploring the new track.”

Sullivan said, “The block party will be an outlet to build our community, and enjoy and appreciate those around us.”

Cantafio said that those who may be unsure of attending the event should “come on out and have a blast…with the guys who got their start at OPRF.”

He added, “To this day, I often visit the school because I’m so proud of what OPRFHS has become.”