The official student newspaper of Oak Park and River Forest High School

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

Students shred at annual Milk Crate concert

The band “Siphonophore” performing at the concert (Alex Robinson Bellin)

About 100 people packed into Val’s halla Records on Friday, May 3 to showcase Oak Park and River Forest High School student bands and give the community a chance to come out and enjoy the music. 

Milk Crate, the OPRF club devoted to music reviews, hosts the concert every year to raise money for charity. This year, all proceeds went to PING! (Providing Instruments for the Next Generation), an organization that helps students in need access musical opportunities and programs. 

The event was organized by four Milk Crate officers, junior Colleen Duffy and seniors Sylvia McGoldrick, Amelia Hunkele and Alena Anderson. Two sophomore members of the club, Jacob Mowatt and Eric Ericson, emceed the event.

Valerie White, the faculty sponsor of Milk Crate, guided the students through the process. “This is a tradition to do this show,” she said. “Usually the students talk to each other spanning the years, so they help each other out with any logistical questions.”

White thanked “Trevor Toppen, who is the owner of Val’s for hosting this show every year.” 

The bands that performed were Angel of Thursday, North Grove, Siphonophore and Silver October. 

“My favorite part of the concert was just seeing so many people my age interested in the local music scene,” said Duffy. “Everyone showed up ready to have a good time and donate through their ticket purchase. I think it’s so amazing to see music makers and lovers all in the same place enjoying something they collectively love.”