The official student newspaper of Oak Park and River Forest High School

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

Leadership spotlight: a year in review

Leadership Spotlight, a new segment in Trapeze as of the 2023-2024 school year, focuses on students at Oak Park and River Forest High School who lead a club or group of students. These stories highlight the students’ contributions to the clubs as well as what activities they do at each meeting.

Ava Nicholson: STUCO President

Student Council President Ava Nicholson made the first Leadership Spotlight in the October edition of Trapeze. Nicholson joined Student Council when she was a freshman and was elected president at the end of last year. As president, Nicholson represented the student body and prioritized any concerns that were brought to her attention. Some of Nicholson’s biggest achievements were opening an additional door for students to enter in the morning and adding a dance for next year. She has also been on the OPRF drill team since she was a freshman. Nicholson will be attending the University of Wisconsin-Madison in the fall.

Ava Nicholson with Avery Lucas

Riley Bazillion: BLU

Riley Bazillion was featured as the leadership spotlight in the November edition of Trapeze as the president of the Black Leaders Union (BLU). Bazillion, a junior, has been a member of BLU since her freshman year. This year was her first as president. Bazillion is in charge of organizing the weekly meetings and planning activities for the group. She has also arranged for the club to meet with other Black Student Unions around Illinois to attend workshops and improve leadership skills, showing her initiative.

Ryan Adelstein: Letters of Love

Ryan Adelstein, featured in the Leadership Spotlight for the December edition of Trapeze, founded a branch of Letters of Love Global at OPRF. Letters of Love has clubs all over the world dedicated to making cards and spreading positivity for children with severe diseases. Beyond leading the club at OPRF, Adelstein is the head of card workshops for Letters of Love Global, where he works with businesses around the world to set up card-making workshops. He also manages the Letters of Love Global LinkedIn account. Through Adelstein’s leadership, Letters of Love connected with local businesses like Daly Bagel and Brewpoint Coffee to have donations at each meeting. Adelstein will be attending the University of Iowa in the fall to study business marketing. 

Leen Alaraj: MENA

Leen Alaraj was showcased in the Leadership Spotlight in the February edition of Trapeze. Alaraj is a multifaceted student, as she is the captain of the girls flag football team as well as the cofounder of the Middle Eastern and North African Student Alliance (MENA) with Micah Nasralla. Alaraj was chosen for the National Football Foundation Scholarship for the Chicago metropolitan area, honoring her leadership and dedication. She was one of only three football players in the Chicagoland area to receive the scholarship. 

In MENA, Alaraj wanted to create a community and safe space to explore culture. “I wanted my peers to know there’s someone behind them while building strong connections and sharing culture in our community,” she said. 

Teigan Macek: Roses 4 Austin

Roses 4 Austin President Teigan Macek was the Leadership Spotlight in the April 1 Edition of Trapeze. Roses 4 Austin is a group that provides arts and crafts after school every other week for students at St. Catherine-St. Lucy School in the Austin neighborhood of Chicago. Macek joined Roses 4 Austin after hearing how much her sister enjoyed the program and immediately felt the same love for it. “I am so grateful to be a part of this program, and I really hope this continues for many years in the future,” said Macek. 

After becoming president at the beginning of the school year, Macek has maintained a strong group of more than 30 students. Macek will attend Marquette University in the fall, majoring in nursing.

Teigan Macek at St. Catherine-St.Lucy School

Sahiba Dhillon: Med Club

Sahiba Dhillon, who made the Leadership Spotlight in the April 29 Edition of Trapeze, has been the President of Med Club for the past four years. She founded the club with Nadya Dhillon, her older sister, and fellow student Phoebe Tanacea, in 2020. Med Club provides a space that previously did not exist for students who are interested in the medical field. Students in the club enjoy various activities and experiences under Dhillon’s leadership. Dhillon plans to study environmental science and film production after graduation.