The official student newspaper of Oak Park and River Forest High School

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

Shakespeare: “freaking funny”

Review

Seated in the front row, enveloped by ambient lighting and immersed in classic 1970s and 80s music, I found myself in a state of anticipation. I had no preconceived expectations about “The Complete Works of Shakespeare (abridged) [revised] [again],” which ran in the Little Theater May 3, 4, 10 and 11. This was a chance to broaden my horizons.

The show combines 38 Shakespeare plays into an hour-and-a-half performance. The play was written by Adam Long, Daniel Singer and Jess Winfield, and directed at Oak Park and River Forest High School by English teacher James Bell.

“This play gives an excuse to break from the desks and yell funny things at each other,” said Bell. “It’s about getting the ensemble out of their seats and being playful with it.”

As I walked backstage before the show, I saw hanging signs, various lighting mechanisms and students proactively working to perfect the show. Rehearsals took about eight weeks, showcasing the rigor and level of perfection the students and Bell put into their work. 

While the original production had just three roles, Bell reconceived the script for 15 actors. The show began with three “Shakespeare nerds” acting as narrators guiding the show: senior Lauren Rainey, junior Desmond Murphy and freshman Gayatri Gadhvi. They not only kicked off the performance but also maintained the momentum throughout. 

At many points in the show, actors comically criticized Shakespeares’ writing, aiming to “acknowledge that a lot of Shakespearean works had issues with racism, misogyny and other issues of representation and harmful stereotypes,” said senior Lindsay Chyna, a member of the ensemble cast.

To many of these talented actors, a lot of acting wasn’t required. “I’m someone who legitimately quotes Hamlet on the daily and gets excited when talking about the quarto versus the folio editions of ‘Troilus and Cressida,’” said Rainey. Even if that sounds like gibberish to many, these actors can make sense of the archaic language and foster substance from it. 

“It’s really freaking funny. And it doesn’t take itself too seriously,” said Rainey.

The audience seemed to agree. Waves of laughter circulated through the theater. When it came down to a sadistic Juliet, a seemingly uncomfortable nurse and somehow a football game, Shakespeare became significantly funny, and I was unable to control my laughter, and nor was anyone else for that matter.

Personally, I’m very scared of all things Shakespeare, not just because of his occasional vulgarity, but because it requires attention and a high level of academic understanding. However, this play enables everyone to enjoy Shakespeare, regardless of pre-conceived notions or established interests; it’s fresh and different. To put it bluntly, I feared going to this play would mean sitting through 90 minutes of boredom.

The dedication of the actors, the meticulousness of the production and the sheer hilarity of the show left an indelible impression on me. Walking away, I couldn’t help but feel grateful for the opportunity to experience Shakespeare in such a refreshing and accessible way.