Girls’ gymnastics season preview

Delaunay Krauter, A&E Editor

OPRF’s graceful group of gymnasts is excited to begin another season this winter. As tryouts pass from Nov. 11 to Nov. 14, the team is gearing up to take home a sectional title.

As fun as high school is, it’s over before you know it. Seniors graduate and new talent develops. For the gymnastics team, the loss of graduated seniors could serve as a learning curve this season.

“We lost one of our coaches and nearly half of the team graduated last year. This season is going to be about rebuilding the team atmosphere,” says senior gymnast Jenna Schainis.

The team is determined to work hard this competition season. “Our team has been able to reach sectionals for the past few years and individuals have gone to state, but we haven’t been able to quality to state as a team yet,” says Schainis.

The bond between teammates is special and builds trust. One thing senior Sophia Kolovitz looks forward to is building relationships.

“I am looking forward to developing stronger bonds with the girls on the team as well as upgrading my gymnastics skills,” says Kolovitz.

Schainis says “All three levels (JV2, JV, and Varsity) bond and spend time together. Since the team is really small, we’re able to form connections with everyone regardless of their skill level.”

Senior Nicole Perla agrees “I’ve been on the team since freshman year. It is a very friendly and supportive environment in the gym.”

Perhaps the most important part of the experience for these young women is the relationships they’ve built with one another. But there’s work to be done.

With five practices a week, the team will work on their individual routines in preparation for their first competition against Leyden High School on Dec. 4.

A total of 25 girls on the team, only 15 compete each meet, five for each level: JV2, JV, and varsity. “ There are around 25 girls on the team but only 15 get to compete on each event every meet,” Schainis said, “We usually have dual meets against another school and they compete a separate event than us and then we switch.”

Each teammate is tasked with performing a routine.

“My floor routine has strong and faced-paced music in the background,” says Perla, “and is filled with lots of tumbling and dance. It has lots of energy and I tried to incorporate my personality in the moves and poses I hit.”

While Perla’s personalized performance is sure to woo the judges, Schainis plans to bring new skills to this year’s season.

“My floor routine for this season is supposed to consist of a full twisting backwards layout as well as the same full twist forwards,” she said, “and has a few jump and leap combinations to meet requirements and give me bonus to increase the starting value for my score.”

To get ready for the upcoming season, many of the team members showed their commitment by continuing to practice outside of the season.

“While the team isn’t working in the school’s gym during their off season,” Schainis said, “a lot of us practice outside at private gyms.”

As the women gear up to take home a state title, the school watches to see them come home with a victory.