Hoco ’22-23 preview

For the first time since 2019, Oak Park and River Forest High School will have a traditional homecoming dance. This year’s Met Gala-themed event will take place Saturday, Oct. 1 in the field house from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Student council sponsor Katie Prendergast said there will be a DJ, “red carpet glamour,” “one big dance,” “artwork,” and “a cafeteria relaxing area.”

Prendergast is enthusiastic about this year’s event. “I’ve always been passionate about homecoming and dances and student events,” she said.

Prendergast urged all students to attend the dance. “Every year I will get a group of students that will say to me, ‘No, I’m not going to homecoming. I’m going out to dinner.’ You could go out to dinner any other night. You have one homecoming each year, and it’s never going to happen again until next year.”

Student Council Vice President Grace Koch echoed Prendergast’s excitement, saying, “Homecoming is everything to the Student Council, so we pride ourselves on a good homecoming.”

Planning has been underway since last year, she said, with the Met Gala theme established over the summer.

Prendergast said Student Council had already been aware of the theme and some minor details. Towards the end of the summer, she communicated with the Student Council offices to continue discussing planning and how they would integrate this year’s council into helping out.

Tickets will be on sale Sept. 14 through Sept. 28 online at the OPRFHS website, and guest forms can be picked up in the Student Activity Center and the bookstore.

This year students are allowed to bring one guest with them to the dance. The student and the guest will enter the dance through the Welcome Center and must walk in together.

Guest forms are due by Wednesday Sept. 28th. The cost of guest tickets is $30, while attending student tickets cost $22.

The dress code is open choice, semi-formal clothing—permitted under the school dress code, of course. Student IDs must be present in order to enter the dance. Guests can only enter the dance if they have their current student ID with them or a copy of their state ID.

COVID precautions are the same as the ones the school is “taking right now during the school day and in the cafeteria every day at lunch,” said Angela Hawkins, student activities coordinator.

“You can definitely spread out,” Prendergast added.

“It’ll be an awesome event! Many students will be there. Just come and have a good time and experience it,” Prendergast said.

Photo courtesy of Charlie Pozesky, students paint a banner