Therapy dogs bring a paw-some expeiernce to OPRF

A long line of students waited patiently outside the Student Activity Center at Oak Park and River Forest High School, where they were met with required hand sanitizer and a much more exciting thing: dogs. 

Students dropped their bags and rushed to pet their station’s dog. At first, the room was filled with gasps of excitement, squeals of joy and laughter. Eventually, a sense of calm fell over the students in which the groups were mostly quiet entranced by the dog.

Four therapy dogs, who were all certified by Bright & Beautiful Therapy Dogs or Pet Partners, were brought into OPRF during fifth and sixth periods on March 3 by HYPE (Healthy Youth Peer Educators) and the Huskie Wellness initiative. 

Junior and HYPE member Xiomatra Grachan said “a lot of students feel a big slump this time of year.” Bringing in the dogs is a small thing that something that “can just make them feel better,” Grachan said. 

Senior Vivian Beck brought her group of leadership freshmen to see the dogs. “They seemed really stressed out with (it) being the middle of second semester, and we wanted to give them something fun to do,” said Beck.

Other students opted to wait in line that stretched down the hallway all period long for a chance to see the dogs. Sophomore Audrey Olitor said she was looking forward to petting the pups “all week,” and even “planned not to take today off–just for the dog.”

Olitor got to hang out with the 4-year-old cocker spaniel, Ollie. Each dog was eager to greet students and did not get overwhelmed by the dozens of students who were eager to interact with them. Students visited the dogs in groups of six.

Chief, the 4-and-a-half-year-old golden retriever, was accompanied by his owner, Katie Trame. Trame said it’s “rewarding” to see her dog bring so many people joy. When she brings Chief to schools to interact with students, Trame loves “watching their faces light up.”

Sixth period, two additional dogs were brought in. Opie and Broady, who both participated in a study by Rush Oak Park that helped prove dogs are beneficial in physical and mental healing. 

Jeff Schofield, owner of 8-year-old goldendoodle Opie and an Oak Park resident, said the research proved that therapy dogs “not only improved positive outlook,” but also showed improvements in “expediting the healing process,” for patients. 

Oak Park resident Kritsti Bruan, Broady’s owner, said, “I think there’s just something innate about an animal, like they know.” When Broady visits Rush Oak Park Hospital,” if somebody… (was) having a bad day or maybe a little sicker like he would just respond differently,” said Bruan. 

Host of the event and Student Activity Coordinator Angela Hawkins said the event was an “absolute success…It was amazing to see all the smiles,” she said. 

OPRF students highly benefited from the interaction with the dogs and enjoyed the short time they spent in the building, according to Hawkins. “It brought so much positive energy to our space,” she said.