The official student newspaper of Oak Park and River Forest High School

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

Celebrating Black Professionals Day

Oak Park and River Forest High School hosted Black Professionals Day on Monday, Feb. 20 in the auditorium.

Sponsored by the Office of Equity and Student Success, the event took place during second and third periods as well as advisory. The goal was to allow “students of color to be in a room full of successful people who look like them,” said Ty Garland, OPRF’s community outreach coordinator. Some of the presenters were OPRF alumni, he added.

The event was designed to help OPRF students envision their lives after high school instead of thinking “year to year,” said Garland.

Black Professionals Day began more than 20 years ago, said Garland, who now oversees the event. In recent years he has worked to make the day more engaging and casual so students can form deeper connections with the professionals.

OPRF students had the opportunity to experience breakout sessions and discussions with accomplished African Americans who excel in their professions. This year, 22 professionals and 216 students attended–record-breaking numbers, according to Garland.

Students said the event was a valuable experience. “I found it very influential to have role models speak to me, who actually look like me and have experiences similar to mine,” said junior Jasmine Shirley. “I loved being able to have the opportunity to talk to the professionals about my struggles.” 

The breakout sessions featured professionals in groups of five to six who spoke about their accomplishments, networking opportunities and their own challenges as African Americans breaking barriers in their given fields. 

“There is no acting like you belong, because you do. You are great enough just as you are,” said Ty Mayberry, an expert data scientist at CDW, who presented at the event.

Students were then given the opportunity to have a question-and-answer session with the professionals. Questions addressed a range of topics, from standing out among college applicants to starting an entrepreneurial venture.

Students line up to learn from Black professionals. (OPRF Instagram)

Marz Timms, owner and C.E.O of Comedy Plex in downtown Oak Park and a 1989 OPRF alum said, “It felt good to speak to students…hearing their questions and interests was very refreshing. I’m glad OPRF students are utilizing all of the advantages the OPRF community has to offer.”

Garland said he hopes to continue inspiring OPRF’s African American population with events similar to Black Professionals Day–events like Places and Faces, a back-to-school night that aims to encourage students to join clubs and activities at OPRF, and the National African American Parent Involvement Dinner, a parent dinner hosted by the OESS to promote the importance of keeping high schoolers on the right track.

All of these events are designed to prepare OPRF students for the workforce, or life beyond high school. “OPRF has a vast amount of resources that are available to students from clubs to activities to sports,” Garland said. “I want students to take advantage of what they have now while they still have it.”