Seniors prep for downtown prom

Oak Park and River Forest High School prom will return to its traditional venue for the first time since COVID. The event will be held Saturday, May 20 at the Hyatt Regency Center Chicago, 151 E. Wacker Drive.

This prom season, the theme is “Class of 2023: It’s Our Time to Shine.” The theme was curated by the Prom Committee, the club that produces prom, which is only open to seniors starting in January and is sponsored by Angela Hawkins, students activities director, and Neal Weisman, a mathematics teacher.

“We haven’t had a prom like the one we’re holding this year since 2019. I’m really excited to see how it goes, and I hope for it to be just as successful as previous years,” Hawkins said.

The Hyatt will open its doors at 6:30 and dinner will be served at 7:30, 15 minutes before doors close. The hotel will cater food for all students and staff, including options for those with dietary restrictions. After prom tickets have been sold, students will have the opportunity to let staff know about any meal restrictions such as allergies.

Tickets have been on sale since April 10 at $110 and will remain at that price up until May 6. The price will then rise to $140 from May 7 to May 10 as a last call to discourage students from waiting up until the last minute.

While many have wondered why the ticket prices are so high, Weisman said, “Prom isn’t a money maker for the school. The price of the…ticket is simply determined by what we are spending on prom.” These costs include the DJ, food, venue and more.

Hawkins’ goal is to lower the cost of the prom ticket next year by fundraising at the beginning of the year.

OPRF students are allowed to attend with a non-OPRF guest, but there is a process they must go through before submitting their request to bring a guest. Non-OPRF guests must be above 8th grade and below 21 years of age, and pay $120 for their guest ticket.

The guest form for a non-OPRF student includes the person’s school, birthdate, a signature from their administrator, a signature from their parents and the OPRF student’s parent or guardian’s signature. The Prom Committee strongly urges students who are bringing guests to get their forms in as soon as possible.

The form must be signed by the OPRF student’s dean. Students can visit their deans at any time, but there will be a special opportunity to meet with them for last-minute signatures on May 5 and May 10 in the Student Activities Center.

OPRF deans and various other volunteers will also attend prom to monitor the event, so students are expected to remain on their best behavior while representing OPRF.

“We (the Prom Committee) have spent such a long time planning this event so it can be the best experience for everyone,” said Bella Gupta, a committee member. “This is something most seniors, including myself, have been waiting for forever to enjoy and cherish with their friends and family.”

In order to maintain that amazing experience, OPRF is one of many schools that, in recent years, has stopped voting for a prom king, queen, or court altogether so that all students are celebrated and included in the evening.

“We really encourage seniors, as well as juniors, to attend prom regardless of relational status,” said Hawkins. “It’s going to be a great experience filled with fun and entertainment all night.”

Prom 2023 Logo
The Prom Committee at the food tasting hosted by the Hyatt Regency Center