The official student newspaper of Oak Park and River Forest High School

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

Secure and teach prompts review

Oak Park and River Forest High School is reviewing the events surrounding an online threat that led to two Secure and Teach protocols on Wednesday, Feb. 14.

“We are nearing the end of a thorough review of what occurred last Wednesday,” said Superintendent Greg Johnson at the Feb. 22 Board of Education meeting. That review includes viewing camera footage, conducting interviews and working with local police, he added.

“We are committed to taking the time we need to thoroughly review our response so that anytime something like this happens we are able to ensure that we keep all students safe while in our building,” he said.

While the threats turned out not to be credible, they disrupted the school day and prompted fear and confusion among some students. The problem started when students received “anonymous Snapchat messages threatening a shooting at the school during fifth period,” according to an email from Karin Sullivan, OPRF’s executive director of community relations.

In response, Principal Lynda Parker announced a Secure and Teach over the public address system at 11:58 a.m. A Secure and Teach means that classes may continue normally, but no one can leave their rooms. That protocol concluded at 12:29 p.m.

Students had just begun sixth period when a second Secure and Teach was called at 12:39 p.m. According to Sullivan’s email, “a student who was outside on the Mall said he heard a shot fired.” A police investigation found that no shots were fired, and the second “secure and teach” ended at 1:49 p.m.

Consequences for the students who instigated the threats have been issued per OPRF’s Behavior Education Plan, according to Sullivan. The author of the Snapchat threats was an OPRF student, she noted.

Students and staff described a chaotic scene in and around the school building. In a message to students delivered during advisory on Tuesday, Feb. 20, Principal Lynda Parker said, “Some of us saw the messages on social media. Some of us saw students yelling and running. Some of us saw police carrying large weapons. Some of us sat in class without knowledge of any of this but still wondering what was happening.”

When asked about his feelings throughout the incident, senior Izzy Erwin said, “At first it didn’t seem that serious, but as time went on nerves started to build up.”

Senior Diego Mendoza added, “It was a very tense environment, and I think being in the lunchroom intensified it. Seeing all the videos made me feel a bit anxious and definitely left me a little shaken.”

In her Feb. 20 announcement, Parker said, “We are living in a time when school safety is a regular story in the news and that can make experiencing a Secure and Teach worrisome for many.”

She told students that Secure and Teach procedures are enacted solely when no evidence leading to direct danger has been found. “We would immediately institute a hard lockdown if an extreme safety breach were imminent or occurring,” she said.

Parker explained that students who may be feeling distressed, or any emotions whatsoever towards the event, are able to visit the Student Services staff members to speak about what they may be experiencing.

She reassured students that any reactions to an occurrence like this are “normal and okay.” She concluded her announcement by saying “ We are here to support and partner with you to create and keep our school home safe.”