Prestigious youth orchestra attracts OPRF students

August Schwob performs with CYSO

Photo courtesy of August Schwob

August Schwob performs with CYSO

The Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestras (CYSO) is a prestigious musical organization with OPRF student members.

Allen Tinkham, the music director at CYSO, described the application process. “When we hear auditions we look for skills, people’s abilities to manipulate their instrument, the ability to play music steady when it needs to be steady, high when it needs to be high, or low when it needs to be low,” said Tinkham.

Tinkham also thinks CYSO is unique compared to other youth Orchestras. “CYSO is unique among youth arts organizations in that we serve art organizations at all times,” said Tinkham. “We are creating programs that give access to students who may not otherwise have access to such programs.”

CYSO creates a unique space for young musicians and conductors to hone their musical talents. “Creating music with people your age at such a high level, you make lifelong friends, it’s a fun thing to do and it’s bigger than yourself,” said junior August Schwob, who plays cello with CYSO. He said he thinks playing with CYSO is unique because of the “historical recognition it has.”

Schwob has been playing cello since he was five years old. “As a little child I have no idea why I started playing music. Why I picked the cello I have no idea, it was just something that my little self chose,” he said.

OPRF sophomore and CYSO bassist Maxine Gimbel also appreciates CYSO’s passionate environment. “It’s so much fun being with so many people who really appreciate classical music as much as I do,” she said.

Gimbel’s favorite genre of music is classical. “I find classical music beautiful, unique, and special,” she said.

CYSO is a major commitment. Gimbel said she normally practices for around one to two hours after school. Schwob said he practices for at least three or four hours during school days and for around nine hours every Sunday with other CYSO members to hone his skills for the next performance.

The orchestra previously held in-person interviews, but as a preventative measure against the spread of COVID-19, interested applicants are now required to send a video of them performing.

CYSO also has some highly accomplished alumni, including Andrew Bird, Laurie Anderson, and Richard Davis. Those interested in joining can submit a video audition during March and April.