The official student newspaper of Oak Park and River Forest High School

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

Leadership spotlight: Ryan Adelstein

As the president and founder of the Letters of Love club at Oak Park and River Forest High School, senior Ryan Adelstein has a mission to spread kindness through paper and pen. 

Letters of Love sends motivational and uplifting cards to children suffering from cancer and other serious illnesses.

Adelstein founded the club in January of 2023, with over 300 letters sent out since. The club at OPRF is a small piece of the Letters of Love Global organization which, as of fall 2023, has 173 active clubs at 99 high schools and 74 colleges. 

From humble beginnings at Orono High School in Minnesota in 2018, there are now clubs in 31 U.S. states and in 17 other countries. Letters of Love OPRF holds monthly meetings in the SRC before school where “students can come together to create heartfelt and creative cards that offer emotional support to children in hospitals worldwide suffering from severe illnesses,” said Adelstein.

Letters of Love President Ryan Adelstein

Letters of Love OPRF is sponsored by OPRF teacher Jessica Howell, who said, “Ryan is the mastermind and impetus for this entire movement. I respect his energy, organization, vision and ability to motivate his peers to channel their giving spirit and donate their time.” 

OPRF senior and Letters of Love OPRF Treasurer Audrey Dumelle is in charge of motivating the student body to participate in the club, along with connecting to the Oak Park community for further support. “Ryan is the cornerstone of our success. He puts so much heart, enthusiasm and commitment into exemplifying the purpose of the Letters of Love organization and engaging the OPRF community in our fostered club community,” said Dumelle. 

Beyond playing a major role at Letters of Love OPRF, Adelstein took on the role of Head of Card Workshops for Letters of Love Global, where he communicates with businesses around the world to set up card-making workshops for their employees. Adelstein is also the LinkedIn Account Manager for Letters of Love Global, posting weekly updates on clubs and events from all Letters of Love clubs worldwide.

Additionally, Adelstein works with businesses around the country to sponsor Letters of Love OPRF through donations. Some of the local businesses he has worked with include The Daly Bagel, BrewPoint Coffee, U3 Coffee, UNREAL Candy and High Brewing Company.

Adelstein’s impact on the OPRF community, the Letters of Love Global community and the world embodies his passion for spreading kindness to all, bringing love and solace to those who need it most.

Letters of Love OPRF at their meeting on Nov. 30.