The official student newspaper of Oak Park and River Forest High School

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

The Trapeze

Improv Club offers “safe and fun place for all”

Improv Club playing Character Bus. (Madeline Walski)

The Improv Club at Oak Park and River Forest High School held its first show of the year on Friday, Dec. 1 in the Little Theater. It was a night of funny shenanigans, including (a “fish off” competition, a mirror that spoke Dutch, an audience member’s nightmare) and some heartfelt moments, too. 

The Improv Club started last year under the helm of seniors Joey DiMaso, Jane DiMaso and Julia Dingman. There are about 20 regular members who show up Thursdays after school in Room 4351 to learn the art of improvisation–which to the untrained eye looks like a bunch of high school kids goofing around and having a great time.

To give readers of the Trapeze an inside view of Improv Club, two Trapeze staffers who moonlight as improvisers offer this Q&A. We tried to stay focused, but as you’ll see we had a few interruptions. Read to the end to answer the quiz question! 

Duke Walsh: Hello, Ms. Alexandra.

Alex Robinson-Bellin: Hello Duke Walsh.

DW: So Alex, how has Improv Club shaped your school year?

ARB: Well, that’s a very interesting question. I think that Improv Club has really given me a space to be myself, and I’ve made a lot of great friends from Improv Club. How about you Duke?

DW: You know, I met a wonderful person who just so happens to be my editor for the Trapeze at Improv Club. And you know, she’s really funny. It’s just so amazing to see all of these students at OPRF who are so talented in something that I love to watch and do.

ARB: I couldn’t agree more, Duke. And you know, this editor you’re talking about sounds really cool…(winks).

DW: So Alex, tell me a little about what happens in Improv Club.

ARB: We usually do a fun warm up like zip zap zop or vroom (my favorite), and then we work on games and the Harold, a blend of scenes and games based on a single suggestion. Isn’t that right, Finley? 

Finley Egan: Yeah for sure! Improv is fantastic. It’s a safe and fun place for all, and for people to go to have some fun and get a laugh out of it.

Desmond Murphy: (interrupts): All right, Mr. Finley must get going now.

FE: No, I’m NOT DONE.

DM: He cannot talk any longer, thank you. 

FE: I’m not doooonnneeee… (Des drags Finley away).

DW:  Thank you? Those guys  make me laugh. Well now I think it’s time to show the people a little of what we do in the Improv Club.

ARB: Couldn’t agree more Duke, how about a quick game of ding?

DW: Sounds perfect.

ARB: If anyone thinks they can guess the rules of the game, leave a comment on the Trapeze website.

DW: (clears throat, gets into character): Oh man, what a day. What’s this? There’s a pig sitting there.

ARB: What a beautiful pig.

DW: *Ding*

ARB: What a disgusting ugly little pig just sitting there. It makes me sick. Get it away from me. That little tail makes me feel ill.

DW: *Ding”

ARB: That little face makes me feel ill.

DW: You know what?

ARB: What?

DW: What if we cooked it (Duke rubs his hands together)

ARB: *ding*

DW: What if we loved it. I love this disgusting little pig.

ARB: Oh Duke, you’re right. We can still love this disgusting little pig.

DW: Exactly. Let’s raise our son together.

ARB: And scene! If you think you know the rules, leave us a comment. Well, If you enjoyed a little of what you’ve read, come join Improv Club, and where can we be found Duke?

DW: Thursdays at 3:30 in Room 4351. If you want to learn more, ask us or our club sponsors, Mr. Brown ([email protected]), or Ms. Hawley ([email protected]), also the sponsor of this publication.